What is it?
Reflexology is the technique which works on the principle that specific areas of the feet and hands – called reflex points – correspond in their arrangement to the structure of the body and relate to the organs, glands and systems within. The therapist works on the reflex points by applying gentle pressure.
What are the benefits?
- Creates a state of deep relaxation and calm
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Stimulates the body’s own healing process
- Relieves pain
- Helps the body to return to a state of balance and well-being
- Maintains good health as a help towards preventing illness
- Aids elimination of toxins and waste products
- Stimulates nervous system
- Improves immune and circulatory system
- Boosts energy
Why choose Reflexology?
Reflexology may help relieve the symptoms associated with:
- Stress and anxiety
- Sinus congestion
- Joint pain
- Hormone imbalances
- Sleep disorders
- Stress-related digestive disorders
- Back pain and fatigue
As it helps the body to naturally maintain its balance, this technique is thought to help prevent possible problems from emerging.
What happens during a treatment?
Before the first session, a detailed consultation and medical history is taken. Then, you will lie on a couch with your footwear removed.
The therapist can detect small deposits and tensions within the feet or hands which can indicate an imbalance in the body. Slight discomfort may be experienced as these areas are treated, but this is temporary.
She may also work on some dorsal foot reflexes while standing, weight-bearing position to enhance the response of the stimulated points.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This content is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice. Always consult your GP, consultant or other qualified healthcare provider with your questions regarding a medical condition.